Child Abuse Issues • Children's Protective Services • Safety Issues • Child Abuse Reporting
The Child Protection Hotline (CPH) works:
- To act as the central point of entry for calls to DCFS regarding the possible abuse and/or neglect of children.
- To receive calls of abuse and neglect involving children and assess the level of endangerment.
- To obtain factual information regarding a specific incident and generate a referral for investigation, if appropriate.
- To document and transmit all referrals of child endangerment to the appropriate office, timely.
- To ensure child safety and protection.
During the evening, at night, on weekends and on holidays CPH will forward the referral to the DCFS Emergency Response Command Post to provide protective services to children in life threatening situations. At ERCP, Children's Social Workers (CSWs) are on duty 24 hours to immediately investigate calls of abuse and neglect. Supervisors are also on duty for case consultations and supervision to the CSWs in the field. Situations that require an immediate in-person assessment are quickly assigned to the ERCP.
- This service is free
How to Apply
To report child abuse in Los Angeles County, California, contact the Child Protection Hotline 24 hours a day, toll-free within California, at (800) 540-4000. If calling from outside of California, call (213) 639-4500.
TDD Hearing Impaired 272-6699.