Benefits Assistance • Health Insurance Enrollment • Health Insurance Information/Counseling
What you need to know when you apply:
• Social Security numbers for applicants who are U.S. citizens, or document information for immigrants with satisfactory status who need insurance. Proof of citizenship or immigration status is required only for applicants.
• Employer and income information for everyone in your family.
• Your federal tax information. For example, the person who files taxes as head of household and the dependents claimed on your taxes.
• Information about health insurance that you or any family member gets through a job.
• Income and other information to make sure you and your family get the most benefits possible.
• Information kept secure and only used to see if you qualify for health insurance.
• Families that include immigrants can apply. You can apply for your child even if you aren’t eligible for coverage. Applying for your eligible child won’t affect your immigration status or chances of becoming a permanent resident or citizen.
• If you don’t file taxes, you can still qualify for free or low-cost insurance through Medi-Cal.
• If you are a federally recognized American Indian or Alaska Native who is getting services from the Indian Health Services, tribal health programs, or urban Indian health programs, you may still qualify for health insurance through Covered California.
- For residents of California
- This service is free
- All genders welcome
- All ages welcome
How to Apply
Call their office to set up an appointment.
Bring the following items to the appointment:
If enrolling children, bring their birth certificate and social security card.
Adults should bring their State ID or Driver's License, last pay stub and 2014 tax documents.
Note, the Open Enrollment Period for 2015 has ended. The Open Enrollment Period for coverage starting in 2016 is November 1st, 2015 to January 31st, 2016. Individuals may also qualify for Special Enrollment Periods outside of Open Enrollment if they experience certain events. Events include:
- Lost or will soon lose health insurance
- Permanently moved to/within California
- Had a baby or adopted a child
- Got married or entered into domestic partnership
- Returned from active duty military services
- Gained citizenship/lawful presence
- Federally Recognized American Indian/Alaska Native
See additional information about Qualifying Life Events for Special Enrollment.
You may enroll in Medi-Cal or CHIP at anytime.