Pomona's Promise | Find Community Resources

Temporary Homeless Assistance (HA)

Temporary Homeless Assistance (HA)

Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Services

Temporary emergency shelter payments for homeless families receiving CalWORKS.

Services Offered

Financial Assistance • Temporary Housing


Temporary Homeless Assistance (HA) provides temporary shelter payments for up to 16 consecutive calendar days. An eligible family may receive $65 per day (for a family of up to four) and $15 per day for each additional person, up to a maximum of $125 per day. The family must be actively searching for permanent housing, provide verification for the housing search, and provide verification of shelter expenditures. Payments are issued in increments of no more than seven days at a time.

Note: The once-in-a-lifetime rule for the Homeless Assistance Program was eliminated as a result of a change in State law. Effective January 1, 2017, the Homeless Assistance Program is available every 12 months. A family may also be able to get this assistance more than once in 12 months, if they meet an exception. The family should inquire with the Dept. of Public Social Services to determine whether their situation meets the requirements for an exception. Exceptions are limited to once every 365 calendar days, but this does not apply the first time a family receives HA under an exception.


2040 W. Holt Ave., Pomona, CA 91768 34.0610862 -117.7867025

Service Options

Languages Spoken

  • English
  • Spanish


  • Families may receive only one form of assistance (Temporary, Permanent, or Permanent Arrearages).
  • To be eligible for Temporary Housing Assistance, the family must:
    • Be receiving CalWORKs,
    • Be enrolled in WtW (GAIN) or employed OR
    • Be in Post Time-Limited Services or employed, if their 48-month time limit has already been exhausted.
    • Meet the definition of “homeless;”
    • Not have more than $100.00 in liquid resources (i.e., cash on hand [not to include the current month’s grant], bank account, etc.); and
    • Obtain temporary shelter from a commercial establishment (e.g., hotel or motel, paid emergency shelter) or from a person who has a history of renting rooms/properties.
  • See Fact Sheet for more information.


  • This service is free


  • Adults accepted

How to Apply

To request assistance,call the customer service line at (626) 569-1399 (frequently a long wait to get through) or visit the Pomona Department of Social Services.

You can apply for CalWORKs, CalFresh, and MediCal benefits online.