Pomona's Promise | Find Community Resources

The Moving Assistance (MA) Program

The Moving Assistance (MA) Program

Los Angeles County Department of Public Social Service

One-time financial assistance for individuals and families who are at risk of losing their homes.

Services Offered

Homelessness Prevention • Homeless • Financial Assistance • Rent


The MA Program helps CalWORKs Welfare-to-Work (WtW) families who are homeless or at risk of becoming homeless due to a financial crisis resulting from circumstances outside the family’s control. It provides eligible families with a once-in-a-lifetime (unless the family later meets an exception) payment of up to $2,000 to secure permanent housing. Families can apply for MA in person at any CalWORKs office (in Pomona, this is at 2040 W. Holt Ave.).

The MA payment (not to exceed $2,000) can include: up to two times the total rent (before subsidies) for move-in costs, such as security deposits, last month’s rent, cleaning fees, key deposits; utility deposits (turn-on-fees) required for gas, electricity and/or water, when not included
in the rent; truck rental [truck rental fee, any deposit associated with the rental of the truck, and mileage if separate from the truck rental amount); up to $405 for the purchase of a stove and/or refrigerator when the new residence does not have one; and or families with a timed-out adult, up to the amount of the timed-out adult’s portion of the family’s reduced grant for two months, so that the family can remain in their current housing while they look for less costly housing.

The MA program can be used in conjunction with the Homeless Assistance program in certain situations (e.g., the participant needs to purchase a stove and/or refrigerator, the participant needs to rent a truck to move into the new residence).


2040 W. Holt Ave., Pomona, CA 91768 34.0610862 -117.7867025

Service Options

Languages Spoken

  • English
  • Spanish


  • Proof of the financial hardship is required.
  • To be eligible for the MA program, the participant must:
    • Be CalWORKs approved;
    • Have exhausted or not be eligible to the State’s Homeless Assistance Program;
    • Be employed full-time, or employed part-time and actively participating in an approved GAIN Welfare to Work (WtW) activity or Post-Time Limit (PTL) services, or unemployed and actively participating in an approved GAIN WtW activity or PTL services;
    • Be homeless or at risk of becoming homeless due to a financial crisis resulting from circumstances beyond the family’s control (proof of the financial crisis required); and
    • Secure permanent housing where the family’s share of the rent does not exceed 80% of the family’s Total Monthly Household Income.


  • This service is free

How to Apply

To participate in the Moving Assistance program, an individual must visit a local Dept. of Public Social Services office. For additional questions, call 1-866-613-3777.